Friday, December 30, 2005

Hazel Eyes

My mom asked me to go for a drive with her today. This was out of character from this past week's behavior. Let's just say when I corrected her pronunciation of Milan, after she pronounced it meee-l'anne, she wouldn't speak to me the rest of the drive home from Nicoitalita's (a very fine pizza place). I asked her why she wanted to go on a drive. In past experience I've gone on a "drive" with her and ended up going to my Great Aunt Artis', who didn't hear 20 minutes of a conversation my mom had with her and had never met us before (or remembered doing so). My mom ran off the list of things she needed to do on this drive, mostly delivering bills, and I agreed to go with her. What the heck! 7.40 on a friday night. Life is pretty lame with school being out and working full time. I went.

Joseph made me a lovely cd of songs he's listening to, so I popped it in and started listening for about the 10th time today (they're really groovy). We got to "Hazel Eyes" by the Darkness. Let me just give 100 cool points to the Darkness for this Chinese/Scottish/80s rock/Queen sounding song. It's pretty much amazing. The lyrics, which are mostly inaudible, have this classic rock chorus "girl with the hazel eyes... ah ah ahahahahaha." (I'm not sure I can represent it in lyrical form, you'll have to give it a listen). I start track number 10, listen very carefully because my mom hates the music turned up. I have to fight with her anytime I want to hear a song. I've become used to my music having 1/200 lines on the volume indicator, and my mom's terrible version of "My Favorite Things" on at least 172.5. But, low and behold... my mom turned up the volume! On my music! This is extremely out of the ordinary. Not only that, she started rocking out and singing, "girl with the hazel eyes, ah ahahahahahah". I was scared to laugh for fear she might resort back to her, you make fun of me everyday comment. But, nothing. "It grows on you," she replied when I asked her if she liked it. I just chuckled to myself and sang along at the top of my lungs.

After the song finished I could see her fidgeting in her seat and looking at the cd player. "Do you want to hear it again?" I asked her. She nodded. So, we listened to it again. Anyone who hears this song once must hear it at least 2 more times in the same outing. We listened to it at least 4 more times on this trip. My world and day have completely changed.

My mom likes a song I like.

Thank you, the Darkness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just 'lol'ed.