Sunday, May 07, 2006

awkward greetings

I went to my parents' ward today. Instead of seeing the someone I actually attended the ward to see, I re-encountered a pompous, somewhat obnoxious boy from the past. Recently returned from a mission, reviving interests in girls who don't like him, and seeming to think the same sentiment was returned to him. He greets me with what I take to be a pseudo-handshake, pull-you-in-to-kiss-you like the french do. I keep it to a hand shake. "Or you could give me a hug..." he says. Jumping straight up, I try a sideways hug. Less interest, concern, commitment, etc. He squeezed. Squeezed me, pulling me to his cheek on an acquaintence hug. I do not recommend squeezing hugs while sideways. Awkward. I knew it, my little brother knew it, but I'm not quite sure the R.M. did because he continued talking and going on as though we were best friends. I sat down and just laughed to myself every five minutes as I thought of the handshake/hug. Witnessing the awkwardness, my brother nudges me and laughs. And I recall stories from Day's market, eyes peering through the egg cartons to say hi to my little sister. All the thoughts of awkward hellos and conversations that should never started enter my mind. This is a boy who does not give up. Turns and smiles during the sacrament in my direction followed. Running into a past Young Woman's leader I find him standing next to her. He gushes about his entire life plans for sacrament meetings and locations in the next few week. And I wonder, does it ever stop?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.