Wednesday, July 25, 2007

boy drawn badly

I forgot how much I absolutely adore Badly Drawn Boy after I heard their lingering sound outside of a salon on 300 S in Salt Lake yesterday. I told Morganne I adored BDB, and she asked me about them. I realized, I haven't listened to them in ages. So I've found, there's nothing quite like rediscovering long-lost loves.

Albums:

  • Born in the U.K. - I haven't given it a great listen yet, but Gap was playing Nothing's Gonna Change Your Mind and I realized that I adore few musicians as much as I adore Damon Gough. Such simple melodies, simple concepts, but utterly gorgeous.
    • Songs to hear:
      • Nothing's Gonna Change Your Mind
      • Without a Kiss
  • One Plus One Is One - The one Badly Drawn Boy concert I have seen, the band played this entire album all the way through from track 1-15 and then select songs from other albums. This album goes through a range of emotions, but every song is somehow wonderful and delicate with a little bit of an edge.
    • Listen to:
      • One Plus One Is One
      • Easy Love
      • This Is That New Song
      • Another Devil Dies
      • Four Leaf Clover
    • Dang, just listen to the whole cd... it's all good!
  • About A Boy Soundtrack - my introduction to this brilliant band. I love every song on the album, mostly for sentimental reasons. The instrumental music is beautiful, and the film is embodied in every song for me. It's for this very reason that I adore soundtracks from my favorite movies so much. There's more attached to the music than just the song, there's the whole meaning, nostalgia, and loveliness of the film as well.
    • Songs to note:
      • Something To Talk About
      • Silent Sigh
      • I Love NYE
      • River Sea Ocean
      • File Me Away
      • A Minor Incident
    • Again, all the rest of the songs as well!
  • The Hour Of The Bewilderbeast - I fell in love with this album in the autumn of my freshman year of college. It feels like ages ago, yet so recent. The songs are so reminiscent of my favorite season, they're floating and transcendent (as Morganne would say).
    • Listen up:
      • The Shining
      • Stone on the Water
      • Once Around the Block
      • Magic in the Air
      • Pissing in the Wind
      • Blistered Heart
  • Have You Fed the Fish - I regret to say that I don't know much of this album. All Possibilities is one really great song. I intend to take this cd from an ex-friend. Or buy it myself. Or, if you have it... I'd like to give it a listen!
Anyway, case in point - listen to some BDB. You won't regret it.

No comments: